A girl who was put in a coma after being ‘dropped on her head’ at school has taken her first steps, but has many battles to come.
Neeka Atkinson suffered a brain injury while at Archbishop Sentamu Academy.
The 13-year-old was allegedly dropped onto the concrete in her playground and was placed in a coma after her injury.
Police are probing the July 8 incident and a teenage boy has been arrested, who has since been released on bail.
HullLive reports a fundraiser for Neeka prompted an outpouring of generosity from the public and has raised more than £11,200 in just six days.
Sister Alisha Atkinson has shared an update on social media about her condition.
She has started physio treatment and continues to show “such a great spirit” in the face of the long recovery process that awaits her.
Alisha, posting a picture of herself with a smiling Neeka, said: “Neeka’s started physio this week and she’s taking a few steps on her own and is slowly coming to terms with what’s happened.
“She’s got such a great spirit for someone that’s been through something like this, but her recovery is still a very long process and she still has a lot of battles to overcome.
“I couldn’t be more prouder of her for her determination and the way she’s handling the mental side of things too, she’s honestly the strongest little girl I’ve ever met and I’ll do anything to keep that smile on her face, I love you Neeka.”
A blood clot was discovered on Neeka’s brain after the incident in the school playground and she was for a period placed in a medically induced coma.
Her family set up a fundraiser when they were advised that Neeka would need to be transferred to a Leeds hospital to meet her new needs.
Neeka’s grandmother would need to temporarily relocate to Leeds to ensure she could be there for her and extra cash would be needed to rehabilitate the teen once she returns home.
The original fundraising target of £5,000 has been smashed as the people of Hull and East Yorkshire take her recovery to their hearts.
The Mirror reported last week how a teenage boy is alleged to have picked her up by the neck and dropped her head first onto the playground.
A boy has since been arrested and Humberside Police confirmed the matter is being investigated by detectives.
Following the incident, the school released a statement.
Helen Winn, who started as Executive Principal, said: “We are all desperately worried about our 13-year-old student following an incident last week.
“All our thoughts are with her, her family and her friends at this very difficult time.
“We are enormously grateful for the outstanding work of our healthcare professionals who we know are doing all they can for her.
“Because of the police involvement in the case, we are unable to say anything further at this stage.”